Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Luther's Convictions

Rather than join in the celebration of Halloween, we as Christians should instead celebrate that on October 31, 1517, which is 489 years ago today, Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses on the castle church door at Wittenberg, Germany calling the Roman church to embrace the genuine gospel of sola fide. This was one of the greatest events of the past 1,000 years which is called today The Reformation. We are the heirs of Luther's convictions and actions that ultimately birthed the Protestantism of today.

Martin Luther was also responsible for a translation of the Bible from Greek and Hebrew into German. Soon all the countries of Europe followed his example by translating the Scriptures into their own languages. When he was commanded to appear before Emperor Charles V to answer for his writings, Luther gave this fearless reply:

"I cannot submit my faith either to the Pope or to the Councils, because it is clear as day that they have frequently erred and contradicted each other. Unless therefore, I am convinced by the testimony of Scripture ... I cannot and will not retract ... Here I stand, I can do no other. So help me God, Amen."

Happy Reformation!

No comments: