Friday, July 20, 2007

Aim to Entertain

Sometimes I go to www.gty.org and just do a word search and see what turns up in John MacArthur's archives, I know it's a strange hobby but I do enjoy it. Well I did a search on the word "Powerful Preaching" I know it's two words but play along with me if you will, it turned up this little gem on "Fifteen Evil Consequences of Plexiglas Preaching", the quote below is taken from consequence number 6. I don't know about you but I would really like to read the other 46 consequences that were left out of this article.

"What passes for preaching in some churches today is literally no more profound than what preachers in our fathers' generation were teaching in the five-minute children's sermon they gave before dismissing the kids. That's no exaggeration. It is often that simplistic, if not utterly inane. There is nothing deep about it. Such an approach makes it impossible for true worship to take place, because worship is a transcendent experience. Worship should take us above the mundane and simplistic. So the only way true worship can occur is if we first come to grips with the depth of spiritual truth. Our people can only rise high in worship in the same proportion to which we have taken them deep into the profound truths of the Word. There is no way they can have lofty thoughts of God unless we have plunged them into the depths of God's self-revelation. But preaching today is neither profound nor transcendent. It doesn't go down and it doesn't go up. It merely aims to entertain." - John MacArthur

No comments: