Sunday, September 24, 2006

Lost Hymns: All that I Was, My Sin, My Guilt

All that I was, my sin, my guilt, My death, was all my own; All that I am I owe to Thee, My gracious God, alone.

The evil of my former state Was mine, and only mine; The good in which I now rejoice Is Thine, and only Thine.

The darkness of my former state, The bondage, all was mine; The light of life in which I walk, The liberty, is Thine.

Thy Word first made me feel my sin, It taught me to believe; Then, in believing, peace I found, And now I live, I live!

All that I am, e'en here on earth, All that I hope to be, When Jesus comes and glory dawns, I owe it, Lord, to Thee.

by Horatius Bonar, 1808-1899 Hymn #378 The Lutheran Hymnal Text: 1 Corinthians 15:10 Author: Horatius Bonar, 1845, alt.Tune: "St. Bernard" 1st Published in: Tochter Zion, 1741Town: Cologne, Germany

No comments: